Founded in 1947, Spokane Civic Theatre is an award-winning nonprofit community theatre. The organization, which is a fundamental part of the arts community in the Inland Northwest and a fixture in downtown Spokane’s North Bank area, produces more than 20 plays, musicals and other live events annually, created by more than 400 volunteer cast and crew members. Located at 1020 North Howard Street since 1967, Civic spaces include the Firth J Chew Studio Theatre and Margot and Robert Ogden Main Stage. Spokane Civic Theatre’s training arm is home to hundreds of developing artists, studying at progressive levels in a variety of classes and workshops.
Designed by Moritz Kundig, Spokane Civic Theatre’s Howard Street facility opened in 1967. A three story addition was constructed in 1972, creating the scene and costume shops as well as a space that would become the celebrated Firth J Chew Studio Theatre. Where the Main Stage lobby has been enhanced since then, otherwise, the building’s footprint remains true to its original conception.
The City of Spokane’s North Bank Plan lists Spokane Civic Theatre as a most important asset, next to river and trail access and The Arena. With North Bank development at full throttle and Civic’s facility being more than 55 years old, a comprehensive and compatible property maximizing revitalization and soundproofing construction project is in design.
1CIVIC is a $10 – 20 million capital campaign developed to fund this project. Between local, state and national grants, corporate sponsors, multi-year pledges, and an accessible grassroots initiative, 1CIVIC will ensure that Spokane Civic Theatre’s mission driven, history grounded, living legacy will thrive into the future.