These eight one-act plays will be shown as written by playwrights chosen from around the region. These pieces will also be competing for our Festival Adjudicator Award as well as an Audience Choice Award.
- Playwright Elena Naskova, Seattle, WA– Elena’s plays have been produced on Portland, Seattle, California, Chicago, UK, Spain, Toronto, and New York. She is also a member of the Dramatist Guild and the Seattle Playwright Circle.
- Playwright Robin Brooks, Seattle, WA– Robin is an award winning playwright and screenwriter. Her work has placed in the Kennedy Center’s American College Theater Competition, the Austin Film Festival, and the PAGE International Screenwriting Awards. She’s a member of the Dramatist Guild, and was recently published on the Dangerous Women Project. Find her at ScreenPlayWriteHer.Weebly.com
- Playwright Jessica Loomer, Spokane, WA– Jessica is a local director, actor, and writer. While she has taken a stab at playwriting in the past with writing and directing her high school senior play, this is her community theatre debut. Jessica thanks her husband, Preston, for his love and support, encouraging her to follow her playwright and directing dreams.
- Playwright John Michael Duggan, Boise, ID– John started out as an actor making the rounds in Hollywood and supporting himself as an illustrator for biker magazines. He switched over to directing because it paid. In order to properly father two twin sons, he turned to screen and playwriting while working as a digital artist for game companies.
Memories of the American Occupation
- Playwright Paul Lewis, Bainbridge Island, WA– Paul is a playwright and composer whose recent projects include The Names (Equity Library Theatre Chicago, Fusion Theatre), The Crossing, A Musical (Theater Schmeater), a musical adaptation of Caps for Sale (Boston Children’s Theatre), Oblivion (Driftwood), and The Hours of Life (Theatre22). His one-act play The Italian Prisoner was staged at the Playwrights’ Forum Festival in 2015.
To Mr. Wilson c/o Shapiro & Gold
- Playwright Aleks Merilo, Gig Harbor, WA– Aleks has a BA in Theatre and an MFA in playwriting from UCLA. Last year he has plays produced in the UK, Australia, and Off-Broadway. Spokane Civic Theatre also produced his one-act plays Tango Mike and Blur in the Rear View, which won the “Adjudicators Award.” He works as a high school drama teacher in Port Orchard.
The Sum of Me
- Playwright Catherine Rush, Seattle, WA– Productions: The Loudest Man on Earth at the TheatreWorks of Silicon Valley (Edgerton New American Play Award, San Francisco Chronicle top ten pick of 2013); Losing the Shore at BCKSEET Productions, Philadelphia; This Island Alone at Martha’s Vineyard Playhouse; A New Place to Live at Wheelock Family Theatre of Boston; For a more extensive bio: www.CatherineRush.com
- Playwright Molly Allen, Spokane, WA– Molly is a local radio personality in Spokane. Her play On Shaky Ground was produced in the fall of 2016 at Ignite Theater. She just finished Vanya and Sonia and Masha and Spike in the Studio Theatre at Spokane Civic Theatre… she played Masha!
Thank you to everyone who submitted plays for the 29th Playwrights' Forum Festival!
The selected plays will be presented in two rotations June 8, 2017 – June 18, 2017 in the Firth J Chew Studio Theatre. Tickets are on sale now through our box office, at all TicketsWest locations, and online.
Audition inforamtion will be updated on the show's audition page with specific roles as it becomes available.
The 29th Playwrights' Forum Festival is sponsored by Bob & Pat Mielbrecht.