Spokane Civic Theatre is pleased to announce its call for short plays for its 33rd Playwrights’ Forum Festival.
Selected scripts will be fully produced at the Festival to be held June 15-18, 2023.
Spokane Civic Theatre’s Playwrights’ Forum Festival is designed to promote the art of playwrighting and to serve the playwrights selected to be showcased in the festival.
Submission for the 2023 Festival will be accepted online only using the application and consent form. All submissions must be received on/before January 15, 2023.
Submitting Your Play
- Regional playwrights eligible from: Washington, Oregon, Idaho, Montana, Alaska, British Columbia, and Alberta.
- Limit two (2) plays per playwright.
- Please do not re-submit scripts that have been submitted for previous years’ Festival.
- Submitted play restrictions:
- Short plays that run 30 minutes or less.
- Submitted in standard play format.
- There are no restrictions on content, but please no musicals.
- All plays must be submitted blind: no name on the scripts nor any identifying information within the script.
- We welcome any play that has not received a professional production.
- Include a character breakdown with submission.
- Any questions should be directed to email@example.com.
Nature of Festival Production
The Festival provides each play selected a fully-rehearsed production, with the opportunity for the playwrights to participate in the rehearsal process and revise the script up until the festival production deadline (usually about 10 days before opening). Revisions after this date are only allowed if the director determines in their discretion they will not jeopardize the quality of the performance. (Playwrights are strongly encouraged to attend as much of the rehearsal process and Festival as possible, and to participate in the moderated post-performance talkbacks with the audience that occur after each performance.)
We ask that playwrights keep in mind that festival productions are “bare-bones” in nature, with elemental light and sound capabilities along with limited costumes and props. A standard number of set pieces will be available to directors such as chairs, tables, sofas/couch, door/doorframe, and the like. To the extent necessary, the play program will provide additional information to assist the audience in understanding the setting. The Festival Committee reserves the right to take into consideration in the selection process script production requirements of a more demanding nature. Also, if a play is selected that requires unique costumes or props, upon the request of the director the playwright must provide these in a timely manner.
33rd Playwrights’ Forum Festival Timeline
Play Submissions Due:
January 15, 2023
Plays Selected and Announced:
Director Submissions and Selection:
April 17-18, 2023
33rd Playwrights’ Forum Festival:
June 15-18, 2023