Guys and Dolls Jr.
Directed By: Kearney Jordan and Jessii Arp
Music Directed By: Jessii Arp
Ages: 12-17 (Ages 10-11 with director approval)
Tuition: $150 upon casting (Scholarships Available)
Set in Damon Runyon’s New York City, Guys and Dolls JR. follows gambler, Nathan Detroit, as he tries to find the cash to set up the biggest crap game in town while the authorities breathe down his neck; meanwhile, his girlfriend and nightclub performer, Adelaide, laments that they’ve been engaged for fourteen years without ever getting married. Nathan turns to fellow gambler, Sky Masterson, for the dough, but Sky ends up chasing the straight-laced missionary, Sarah Brown. Guys and Dolls JR. takes us from the heart of Times Square to the cafes of Havana, but everyone eventually ends up right where they belong.
- Wednesdays, February 6 – March 27, 4:00 – 6:00 pm
- Dress & Tech Rehearsal: March 30, 10:00 – 4:00 pm
- Saturday, March 30, 7:30 pm
- Sunday, March 31, 2:00 pm
- Wednesday, January 30, 4:00 – 6:00 pm
- Please prepare 16-28 bars of a musical, not from the show
- Prepared to learn a simple choreography routine
- Cold read from script
- Nathan Detroit- a professional gambler. Funny, scheming, clever, stubborn and slow to changing his ways.
- Miss Adelaide- A dancer, she’s large in personality but small in brains. Has a heart of gold and wants the simple things in life, like a husband and family.
- Sky Masterson- the quintessential, “smooth-as-velvet” Broadway gambler; he’s slick and charming. Powerful and confident…until he meets Sarah.
- Sarah Brown- the “girl next door” with an adventurous side that’s waiting to escape. She is gently authoritative, the mirror opposite of Sky.
- Arvide Abernathy- Sarah Brown’s grandfather and the bass drum player in the Mission Band.
- Nicely – Nicely Johnson is walking, talking, Broadway comedy. Full of one-liners and retorts, he provides much comedy to the show.
- Benny Southstreet and Rusty Charlie- the small-time gambler sidekicks of Nicely- Nicely Johnson.
- Harry the Horse and Big Jule- colorful additions to the crapshooters crew. They should be strong and humorous characters.
- Lt. Brannigan- the police officer that always plays the patsy and is outwitted by the Gamblers.
- General Cartwright- the formidable leader of the Save-a-Soul Mission organization.
- Various Gamblers. Hot Box Dancers, etc.